Like most questions revolving around the issue of tiny house living, the subject of how much space you need is completely dependent on you and your personal preferences.
Since a home’s most basic, fundamental purpose is to provide shelter and given all homes for the most part do this, the size of the shelter is determined by its number of occupants, their personal preferences and money available.
For example, The Tiny House Family, a family of four lives in a 168 square feet tiny home while some single folks have elected to build a tiny house several times larger.
The idea of tiny house living isn’t as much about the size of your home, but instead one or all of the following:
- Being mindful of your home’s size
- Having a dwelling that forces you to downsize your possessions
- Reducing your impact on the environment
- Needing less money to sustain your home
- Needing less time to sustain your home
- Having more financial and personal freedom